Monday 12 January 2009

Bits and bobs

Nearly finished with the next draft of the coming-of-age drama. Last night, I made a new copy and named it All the Kings Horses Draft. That's because this will be the one where I put it all back together again. We shall see. Funny thing is, I'll have my notes back from my tutor on Wednesday. I'll have rewritten it by then. It will be interesting to see if my own thinking ties in with her impressions.

I was feeling a bit stuck last night, not quite sure where I was going with a sequence. So I wrote a few notes in my spiral notebook instead of typing into Final Draft. These templates are great, but sometimes they kind of put on the pressure. You feel like your imagination is onstage. And sure, that's just where it wants to be, most of the time. But stepping back, and taking a more relaxed approach, just telling yourself to make a few notes, can get you going. After a few minutes, I found myself writing out action and dialogue by hand, which is silly, so I went back to ye olde lapetoppe and was soon merrily typing away. Thinking and imagining - it's all very complex, multifaceted brain-stuff. Sometimes you have to walk around, jotting notes, before you can full-on write.

Anyway, I'm pleased with how it's going. It's still going to need another draft, at least, before I send it out, but I might get some feedback on it first.

1 comment:

Andy Phillips said...

Hah! Feedback from tutor chimes in really well with the direction I've been taking it. Very encouraging stuff, though rightly slamming the weaknesses.