Sunday 18 January 2009

Got it

Found an ending I like. I wrote a provisional scene; it turned into something good so I went with it. Need a new draft, a few chops and changes, but now have a coherent, hopefully moving story. One week to tighten it up, leave it a couple days, brush it up, then out for feedback.

I was thinking about the Adrian Mead power of three thing. It's quite exacting, as I heard him tell it a couple years ago in London. You write a script, polish it, make it as good as it can get. Then you send it to three people for feedback. You rewrite according to any common threads. Then you polish that draft. You let it rest a few days and give it another pass. Then out for the second round. Rewrite, polish, rest, another pass. Then, you send it to three more readers. Write the final draft. Polish it, send it out.

I'm on the first rewrite with this one. I think it has the potential to be good, so I'm going to go through the whole three rounds, if I have to.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Great! Keeping my fingers X'd for you as always. I was worried I'd burned out on my book of long shorts, but today I wrote 2,000 words of a new one. :)