Wednesday 12 November 2008

The Moon, Deadline Rabbits, Flashbacks and Tempo

Under the influence of a full moon and a looming deadline, I rewrote fifteen pages from scratch. Finished in the wee hours and emailed it, feeling very happy with the improvements. The Deadline Rabbit had made its appearance. Nice bunny. Why won't he show up any earlier? I check my several hats all the time, but can't seem to yoink a rabbit without a lunatic clock driving me.

Had feedback from my tutor on the first script. Interesting points made about tempo, and how it can be used to lend more or less emphasis to scenes and other units of story. Hadn't really thought about that much. I suppose I feel it, sometimes; just a sense that you want this bit to play out at length, and that bit needs just a flash. This script had quite an even rhythm, which made it feel flat.

My use of flashbacks was somewhat 'clunky and old-fashioned' in the way I had them play out as little scenes in their own right. The tutor would have liked more intercutting.

That said, the feedback was really good and encouraging overall, but I will be adding 'pace and tempo' to the list of drafts.

4 comments:

Near by said...

woooo! Did you have a good hols?

Andy Phillips said...

Oh it was cold. A bitter wind blowing all the frigging time. So yes and no.

Third World Girl said...

I find it tough to get going without a deadline too. (Thank goodness for contests and grant applications because it's not like I have a studio breathing down my neck for the latest script.)

My Deadline Rabbit doesn't come out unless there's an overload of caffeine and a brutal countdown. Otherwise she's in hibernation.

Good luck on the rewrite.

Andy Phillips said...

Thank you TWG.