Wednesday 19 November 2008

Residential 1 - honesty

I'm knackered and buzzing from the residential at Bournemouth. My memory and notebook are overflowing with ideas, plans, goals, lists and assignments. So much to say, so little active brain capacity. Sorry about that; it's going to be a ramble.

First things first: the tutorial. My tutor, a novelist, playwright, radio-writer and screenwriter, is a firm believer in organic story-telling and emotional truth. She asked me to name the aspect of the story that got me going; not the observational research or the terms of the assignment, but the spark that fired my imagination. I told her what I thought it was. So we took that and started again. It was quite a challenge to be confronted by such an honest, poetic writer. In her eyes, my script has problems of tone and conviction. To solve them, we're back to page 1, and the father-daughter relationship.

She also encouraged me to write it in a timeless, universal setting and tone. She wasn't being dogmatic about what's good, but a responding to the kind of story I want to tell, and the arena I've chosen. That means I've got to redo the dialogue and remove some of the slang and references to pop-culture, but still keep it contemporary. Contemporary yet timeless, if that makes any sense. The characters are going to be archetypal people like us.

What an exciting challenge! Write a totally convincing drama and turn it in to a professional dramatist. As ever, It's up to me. Oh shit.

Meanwhile, on the home-front, my play has taken another step forward. I'll be organising a reading in the near future, then rewriting it based on that for a performance in March.

Hmm. Short ramble. G'night.

3 comments:

potdoll said...

exciting times Andy. your tutor sounds mint. emotional truth is what we should all be aiming for.

Andy Phillips said...

She is very fresh and minty. I've been lucky with both tutors at Bournemouth.

Tom Murphy said...

Hi Andy

I'm pleased I've just come across your blog - I graduated from the Bournemouth MA last year, so it's nice to see dispatches from someone going through the mill.

I started my blog with the intention of writing about my MA experiences, but it hasn't happened yet! I really enjoyed it though - I've failed to reach the same intensity in my writing since I finished.

Keep the posts coming!