Saturday 6 September 2008

On the Blog Again

Apologies first. I'm sorry about the title of this blog. It sounded cool at the time I thought of it. Apologies especially to Paul Campbell. I realise I must have done a bit of a 'My Sweet Lord' with his blog title, Scriptuality.

I gave up blogging for a while. Just got tired of it. Now I'm tired of not blogging. Well, to be honest, my friends are tired of me not blogging. I don't know if any of you have noticed this, but civilians smile and nod politely whenever we writers-wannabe start going on about our latest script. What this means is, 'Shut up! Shut up! Oh please God make him shut up before I die.'

So, if you have already started to smile and nod, click away now, because I'm going to go on about my scripts.

I'm just tidying up my 20 minute assignment for the MA Screenwriting course at Bournemouth Uni. Yeah. An MA. In screenwriting. Is that a cry for help, or what? I had to write a 20 minute script, with voice-over, no dialogue. I have hated being deprived of dialogue. Every time I thought up a cool story, I'd have to reject it as unworkable without dialogue. I've written four different scripts, and am now totally away from the outline I submitted at the end of July. Hope that's okay.

Don't get me wrong. I understand their reasons for giving this assignment. It makes you think in visuals, and develop your ability to write in a character's voice. It's just that, well, I like writing dialogue. When I was a kid, I liked to draw monsters. The fun bit was putting in the teeth and claws and blood and fire and destruction. Writing with no dialogue is like drawing monsters without all that.

TTFN.

6 comments:

DAVID BISHOP said...

Alive! He's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!












Welcome back, by the way. Hope the MA's going well.

Andy Phillips said...

Cheers, David.

Jason Arnopp said...

Phillips II: The Return. Delighted!

Near by said...

woooooooooooooooo!
You're back!!
Viva!

Paul Campbell said...

Cool title!

Reminds me of something...

Andy Phillips said...

I'm a blog-giarist.