Thursday 25 September 2008

Story

I've written a rough treatment for the 30 minute arena script. Still loads to sort, but I've got a story I believe. As I was writing it, I started having the feeling of folk ballads, especially House Carpenter. I like the simplicity and strong emotions. In House Carpenter, an unfaithful woman goes to sea with her lover, but finds he's Satan taking her to hell - When you listen to the song, you feel her fear and regret, though she made the choice of leaving her home and children for the lover's promised riches, power and freedom.

So I had that tone ringing in my thoughts as I wrote, and it pushed me out off Gale's Hill, into the harbour and the salty, letting the tide play a full role in a story of three characters, a lover, a daughter and a vengeful father. I'm going to write another treatment of it, then jump in in a couple days time.

Just found out who my tutor's going to be. Very excited!

2 comments:

Near by said...

oooh eeer.
Who is it, please tell.

Andy Phillips said...

Not the wonderful Danny Stack, I'm afraid, though he does a spot of Bournemouth tutoring.