Wednesday 1 October 2008

One More Step

Did a step outline, to try and gauge if I have the right amount of story for thirty minutes. Came in at five pages, fourteen scenes.

That's probably a little light, but I'm going to write it as is, just to get a draft on the table. Mark Barrowcliffe wrote, in his very funny novel, The Elfish Gene, that writing is a way of imagining. He gives the example of trying to visualise yourself parachuting out of an aeroplane. If you just close your eyes and do it, you might summon brief flashes of imagery, the sky, the ground, the blast of wind. But if you write it, you can scaffold your imagination, putting together each bit, until you've described the whole thing, and you're thumping down in a certain field in Dorset, if you want.

That's what I get from writing drafts. After a few, I'm telling something that I've actually witnessed in my imagination.

So I'm going to write this up now, just what I have, but with an eye to the father-daughter relationship, which needs a bit of setting up.

No comments: