Saturday 11 October 2008

People

Today, walking around Exeter, I wished I'd brought a notebook. Everyone I saw was a character in a story. I was having some kind of empathy rush. I loved everyone.

Take the girl I saw, helping her drunk boyfriend onto a train. She brought him onto the platform with a few minutes to wait. He was falling-down drunk, and much bigger than her, but the girl was solid, strong. She stood on these massive tree-trunk legs and supported him, never let him fall as he clung to her. She radiated this tremendous confidence and stability. I thought 'Wow, what is she, 17?' She looked around at me and met my stare. I had the impression of a girl who's not afraid of anything, who would not be shocked by anything. But this guy's going to let her down one day. He's not going to carry her when she needs him to. And then, she's going to pick herself up and do something admirable.

I felt like one of the angels in Wings of Desire or something, connecting with strangers.

Maybe I just don't get out enough.

4 comments:

Near by said...

Na Andy. I think getting out makes it worse..
:)

Paula said...

I saw a big burly blond guy today full of tattoos. He was on the stairs in the garage where I parked to go to the gym. And he was leading this eensy little blond boy down the stairs, going "one, two, one two." It was so freaking adorable. But if he hadn't had the kid with him, he would have been a bit scary.

potdoll said...

good job those massive tree trunk legs were around for her to stand on. wonder who they belonged to?

Andy Phillips said...

Maybe Treebeard the Ent from Lord of the Rings?

Not that I read it seven times as a teenager, or anything.