Saturday 18 October 2008

Teapot

I first experienced Theatre Alibi when they came to visit my last school with Bonjour Bob, by Daniel Jamieson. I walked into the school hall, having prepped my little darlings to behave themselves and not call out or fidget, to really listen and clap at the end. But no one prepared me for the emotional punch of this simple, beautiful story of two lonely old men. They write messages in the sand of their separate beaches, and find that someone's writing back. It's The Sea, carrying their messages to each other.

Each man has joyful memories of lost best friends. Bob has lost his wife forever, but he cheerfully bears up, sifting through objects in his beach hut, and remembering her with a heartbreaking smile. Pierre has lost his lovely grandson, who has moved away to a tropical island. I was in bits within ten minutes, almost wishing I could be distracted by a figeting or calling out child. No such luck. The children were all perfectly absorbed, entertained and nourished. The cellist didn't help matters either.

So I was left to focus on Bob's joyful memories, brought vividly to life, The Sea playing the part of his wonderful, adventurous wife, who teaches him to sail and fish and be brave, knowing full well the scene would end with him alone, looking into the empty picture frame. Cue cello. Cue tears.

I took the family to see Teapot today, also by Jamieson. Another lovely story, with cheerful, brave characters and a bloody cello.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, man, that sounds like a beautiful piece. But aren't you too soft to be a schoolteacher? Shouldn't you do something a bit less difficult, like fighting fires, or driving trucks filled with nitro to Alexandria?

Andy Phillips said...

The worst of it is, I only get softer with age. My wife once introduced me to a man who burst into tears as he shook my hand. 'Don't worry' she said, 'He always cries.' At the time, I was glad it was nothing personal. Now I'm worried I could end up like him.

potdoll said...

that play sounds fab. i'm a bit confused how the sea could send messages though?

Near by said...

does sound great Andy..

Andy Phillips said...

The Sea was a character, represented by an actor in blue.

Andy Phillips said...

He would go 'whoosh,' do a little twirly-leap to indicate he'd washed away one man's message, then 'whoosh' wash it up on the other man's beach. The whole cast make vocal noises to sound like waves and rolling pebbles.

Bob writes, 'My name is Bob, and I'm all alone' on his beach, and 'Whoosh' Pierre is reading it in the sand in France.

Pierre writes, 'Bonjour Bob,' and 'whoosh' Bob's reading it where his last messsage was.

Near by said...

wow. Sounds fab - especially the twirly leap.
Did messages ever get lost or misinterpreted then?

Andy Phillips said...

No. The two men become long-distance friends, then meet up and have a wonderful adventure together.

Near by said...

nice one
;)